View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #104
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Jerry,

Thanks for sharing the tracks for your ride last week. I see you took the scenic Grand Canyon overlook route on the north side. Looks like you skipped the Kane trail. Did you check it out at all?

I see you crossed 89 a few miles east of where we were planning. You said you turned back because of mud and the road was washed out. Would the washout have been passable on big bikes had it not been muddy?

I am supposed to be headed to somewhwere in souther Utah in about 10 days with another small group. They don't have any firm plan about where we are going. So I will just have to wait and see.
I think it is Cane and no I didn't after Crawdaddy's comments. It does not show on forest service map, probably not legal. The East Side Game road was very rocky, but had some great views. There had been a fire on top and I think the GWT signs had burned. The first one I came to was just after the fire. I went back down Buffalo Ranch to where maps show is the GWT and there wern't any signs there either but you can see road going up the hill which may be better than East Side.

My tracks to Hwy 89 follow the marked GWT route. Yes any bike could have made it through but I was alone and if I fell down at the bottom of a muddy wash out (4-6 feet deep) I may not have been able to get out by myself. You will see a short 1/2 mile section just above Hwy 89 that I did not ride. I didn't go far enough and made a U-turn where the last track point is then a rancher told me where the hard right was and I went in the other way and came to a 4' wash out at the end of the straight line which I would never try alone. Next post (only 1 attachement allowed?) has picture of where I didn't want to go further.

See attached plans for scouting next year. I think some or all of it is marked but waiting for letter from USFS. Would appreciate any tracks of where you may find GWT signs. I know it is marked north of Torrey.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT UT Scout 2.gpx (192.5 KB, 62 views)