View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:46 PM   #21
40cu.in.of.furey OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
Emissions controls have ensured that air/oil cooled carbureted singles are extinct.

That's perfectly fine, the new water cooled parallel twins from Kawasaki and BMW are just as good, as is the triple from Triumph. I don't see the fascination with old technology, particularly for a street bike.
The deal is the simpler the machine the easier it is to work on. "newer" technology is great but can be polarizing to work on, shim in bucket valves are not as easy as screw and nut. Water cooled has radiators extra hoses water pump it clutters things. I'm only 28 but I just like the look of air/oil cooled engines (not a harley fan). Water cooled are covered with fairings and are "industrial" lumps that are efficient but are hidden away. You think that the technology we have today and modern metallurgy the air oil cooled should still be a viable option I guess.

obviously you guys see that i have a vfr, its a great bike but i loath doing a valve inspection on this thing, and taking it to a dealer will at least cost me $500 granted it only needs to be done every 20k but that's every two and years for me!

40cu.in.of.furey screwed with this post 10-11-2011 at 11:58 PM
40cu.in.of.furey is online now   Reply With Quote