View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 07:08 PM   #84
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash48 View Post
...at least until that part of the Japanese bke manufacturer's 'U.S export non competition agreement' runs its course. Suzuki's Wee might just be in its last year of non compete from Honda.
Seems to me the if any "non competition" comes into it it would have to be leveled at the feet of the US importers.

Look around the world, The Japanese compete and very hard.

If the market is small Honda US may not bring in a model because they know that they will have to build a market.

Just as YAMAHA are doing now with the S10. It takes time and effort and possibly losses "in that market" to do that and as has been proven often enough, what sells in other parts of the world may not sell in the US.

I know it's a total; cliche' but Cruisers sell in the US and "ADV" bikes sell in Europe up to this point. The rest of the world, the fast growing parts, are looking at scooters and small cc bikes. So if you want variety I suggest you all get into the small cc bike segment. You will be flooded with choice.

The rest are just niche' products. The days of the US being the driver of product is fading. If you want variety the US will have to learn to pay more for the smaller and smaller volumes they require. AT least the ADV segment is declining more slowly than the rest, but that is not a great rap for the market, but may draw more focus to that segment as its percentages increase.

Each importer will be asking themselves how they die more slowly than the others. On the other hand if they tax the crap out of petrol that may change, but that's not about to happen.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 10-14-2011 at 07:13 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote