View Single Post
Old 10-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #25141
SR1
In Western NC

Oddometer: 4,325
All, 'specially Skierd and Trav, thanks for your inputs.

I think I will be just fine with the 3.1 and will check into that Justgastanks bladder. Maybe I can make some tank panniers and put a couple of 1 gallon bladders on the side, or somethin' else. Scratch that, at $129 for a 1 gal and $144 for a 2 gal, I'll get the 2 gal probably.

Good discussion though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierd View Post
Unless you ride like a maniac when traveling, you're gonna average the same 55ish mpg you probably do now, if not better. I averaged closer to 65mpg on the tat for a variety of reasons, mainly taking a leisurely sightseeing pace.

I get not wanting fuel up high, so don't fill it up till you need it out west. Towns are only 90ish miles apart in the east and I managed fine on the stock tank through to salida never touching my extra gas. Keep the 3.1, buy a 1gal or a 2gal jerry can in Oklahoma just in case, and bungee it to the tailrack for the western portion.

Keep in mind too that the tat is more road than trail, its about distances and endurance not technical terrain. Stop worrying so much. ;) you're not going to find 1000s of miles of singletrack track and downed trees, hell I went most of a week without seeing a tree lol.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!

SR1 screwed with this post 10-18-2011 at 05:38 AM
SR1 is online now   Reply With Quote