View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #853
Bambi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Hello mates,
Rolf Witthöft is much more than a local hero!
He won the 1979 International-Six-Days-Trial in the open class, being a member of the BMW-work's-team. Before, he snatched the European championship in this over 750-cc-class, that seemed to be dedicated to the new BMWs, with that overbored 750 Kawa-Twin. That´'s been a great time! That class had been created with BMW's 800s in mind and suddenly, there was this 750 + cc Kawasaki, a 900 cc bevel-drive Ducati called 'Martello', a home-built 751 cc Maico 2-stroke by Egbert Haas (German champion with this bike, if I remember correctly) and overbored Yamaha XS 650-Twins. May be, I even forgot one special or another in this list.
Rolf Witthöft built a 501 engine out of the soft-chopper's Z 440 Ltd.'s engine, after the big 4-strokes were reduced to the over 500 cc-class. He built a 305 GPZ engine, too. He used many parts or even nearly whole chassis of the Kawasaki KLX 250 for these bikes.
I started riding a 250 MZ in 1976 and had a very nice moto-camping-holiday during the 1979 Six-Days, watching all these gorgeous bikes just some 40 miles away from my home ...
Just a few days later I happened to meet my wife. Great september in 1979!!!
Kind regards, Bambi