View Single Post
Old 10-19-2011, 04:44 PM   #391
MrBracket
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Getting the prototype back tomorrow. I loaned it out for a week to one of the guys over at ProCycle. He will be my first customer!

Here is a quote from him (copied from his email to me): "Yeah, I need one. Notice donít WANT, but after having it for a bit, NEED is a better word. Tell people that. Use this thing for a week and you wonít want one, you will NEED one! "

He used it more as a daily commuter trailer behind his DR650 than as an adventure trailer, but still a great review!

So.....
I'm Gonna do a little test production run. I ordered up five wheels and shocks. Ordering Cro-Moly tubing tomorrow along with all the necessary bearings and nuts and bolts to build five trailers. I'm hoping this will give me a better idea how much they will actually cost to produce.

I'm not going to put any pricing or anything up on my website yet, this will just be a test run. I will offer these first five production trailers for $500. This is just for the basic trailer, no container, flatbed deck, or special hitches. That means it will fit a DRZ400, DR650, KTM, or Husaberg as built (maybe others, but I need more data). I will be making a hitch for the KLR, but that will cost extra and I don't know how much extra yet.

I don't want to offer it as a kit at this time, perhaps in the future. Many times kits sit around and don't get put together or get put together with sub par components and don't accurately represent the product. I'd like these first five trailers to get out there, get used, and gain exposure.

The action packer tubs work great and are avaliable at most home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowes. You do need to put a pin in the handles to keep the lid on when you bomb down gravel roads or dirt trails. I've had to stop and retrieve the lid a couple times, at first I stuck a little twig in each handle when I noticed the issue out in the woods. A simple "R" shaped hair pin used on hitch pins works great to keep the handles latched.

If you are interested in owning one of the first five moto-mule trailers send me an email with your contact and bike info to mtsfabman@yahoo.com We will figure out the payment arrangement. The first five should be done before Thanksgiving.

Thanks for all your input!
Mike
MrBracket is offline   Reply With Quote