View Single Post
Old 10-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #25209
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I've had the MT-43 DOT Trials-type tire on my WR-R for just over 1,800 miles now and thought I'd post some photos to update how it's wearing. To my eye the center lugs are about halfway gone, but the tire still grips about the same as when it was new as far as I can tell.
That was one of many eye-opening experiences I had with the MT43 - when a knobby is half-worn, traction suffers quite a bit; when the 43 is half-worn, only mud traction seems to suffer. They'll still crawl their way up a slick rock face with less than 1/4" of "knob" remaining..

Quote:
I'm pretty much running 12 psi all the time in this tire based on advice from inmates here that running more on-road would accelerate wear in the center.
I experience the same thing with regards to wear and PSI. It's very cool to be able to run the same pressure on and off road, no need to carry a pump for the transitions.

Quote:
Looks like this tire will have a longer "useable" life than the D606s I had been running. I'm thinking this one might see 3K miles before it needs replacing. The D606s were almost completely gone at 2,500 miles and were all but worthless off road long before that.
That right there nails it. I'd personally rather have great traction most the time on the MT43, rather than good traction for a bit, then mediocre and always diminishing traction the rest of the time on knobbies.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote