View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
HighFive
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,669
My trip to Postosi started a little earlier than BigDog's.....I departed Rancho Highfive Thursday morning. But reckon, it really started a full year earlier. When, I explored my way up there on my KLR and somehow came home on a BMW. Here's the moment I was switching my gear over.

Say what you want, but I loved my KLR. We had been through an awful lot together....thick & thin, fast & slow, deep & wide, far & near. I put a lot of glorious miles on that bike, and had no intentions whatsoever of letting it go. I really just came to the rally to hook up with the BigDog for our first ride together. I had broken Momma's rules and talked to a stranger on the internet......that's how BD & I become acquainted. But, I had never yet met The Man, The Myth, The Legend in person. He we were circling & sniffing each other out in 2010:

However, the ride never happened. I kind of stood Mark up. Not intentionally, mind you, duty called. I was actually standing next to my KLR, ready to roll bright and early, parked next to Gateway BMW. That's when Honz shows up (the dealer) to get bikes ready for the day. And he says, "why don't you take this F800 out and get it dirty for me!" Not wanting to be a KLR snob at a BMW rally, I simply had to oblige.....figured I could squeeze in 15 minutes or so (never ridden one before).

It was love at first ride. I just kept going and going and going. The world stopped turning and I lost all sense of time. Put that demo through the paces in the paved twisties, dirt roads, two track, and even some muddy single track. I definitely brought it back dirty a LOT later. And, you know the rest of the story.

So, here's my friend & I this year, somewhere in Arkansas, "winging it" on Thursday.....while the BigDog was still at home in the recliner scratching JoJo.

Kevin rode up with me last year on his Ducati Monster, and discovered he just couldn't keep up with my KLR! He couldn't do dirt roads. So, he came better prepared on a new Multistrada this year. It is a VERY cool bike! We stopped in Fayetteville for the sacred lunch at AQ Chicken House, where my college son was able to join us between classes.

Then, we chased some forgotten, heavenly twisty road into a dark canyon for a long ways. Until Kevin says, "hey stupid, do you know we've been going Southeast for the last hour? We were supposed to be going North!" I just shrugged my shoulders and said, "Aaahh....who cares!" I'd never seen this road, and it was really good, and better yet, went to absolutely nowhere important. I never even turned on my GPS all day. Besides, we had two days to get to Potosi.....with No Plan, No Route, & No Schedule!

Eventually....because of my "No Plan" plan......we had to find somewhere to camp in the dark. We stumbled upon a campsite on some dirt road hilltop in the forest. Wasn't till the next day, we figured out it was somewhere important (I guess).

Man, do I ever sleep good in my hammock. Most comfortable thing I've ever slept in. Takes a little getting used to at first, but sweet dreams after that.

Here is the wonderful sunrise view we enjoyed! This is the moment Sir Kevin stopped doubting my internal compass forever.

Get your boots on cowboy, its time to ride! You can see a hammock makes a great chair too.

And, here is why he needs a Multistrada with 150hp: nuff said

We're out of here:

Next stop....Potosi or bust!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com

HighFive screwed with this post 10-21-2011 at 08:38 PM
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote