View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #9186
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,455
My thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Not necessarily; looks like either a 19" or maybe even a 21" front wheel. This immediately puts it in competition with the Yam 1200 Tenere, KTM 990 and BMW R12GS. Cruiser Class ADV/Touring!

19" definitely.

So far no one has mentioned a very major design element on this new bike:

Single Sided Swingarm!!! Triumph only use it on the Speed Triple. I wonder how it will hold up off road?

Hopefully better and stronger than the BMW efforts. AND, it has to have a shaft to entice those die hard BMW idiots, sorry, riders away from the German brand.

AND

Shaft Drive??
I notice not one photo angle showing the left side of the bike. Is this thing Shaft Drive? God, I hope not. That right there would add about 30 lbs. to the weight.

See above.

Obviously ... won't be as nimble or capable off road as the Tiger 800XC, but should compete well in the "Freighter Class" of ADV bikes.

I agree.

Me? I'll take the 800 ... but not until Triumph knock off another 20 lbs. or so. It's too heavy for an 800 IMHO.

Once you've loaded it up with bash guards, racks, luggage and gear ... you end up riding an over weight Pig that becomes a liability off road and not easy to handle. I've been all through this with BMW GS's and my V-Stroms. I'll stick with a Thumper for time being.

The 800XC is surprisingly nimble when you ride it in all situations. You only feel the weight when you have to pick it up. Apart from that down side, the way it handles give me, at least, the confidence to go and explore those back tracks.
Other current unknowns are :-
Power output. If it's 120+bhp how is the 150/70 rear tyre going to cope?
Wet weight. I think it'll be similar to the Tiger955i which will mean limited dirt road use.
Price. Gotta come in under 10K to beat the BMW.