View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV8 View Post
It looks a bit like one on this page which has some parts info.

http://www.indianchiefmotorcycles.com/1970bike.htm
That's not a Floyd Clymer Indian. There were only a few of those built around 1971 using some Series II Interceptor engines and some frames made by Italjet.
They only produced 90 or so before Floyd died, and production ended.

The Indian Enfields were produced at the behest of the Indian Sales Corp. who was importing Royal Enfields into the US when the Indian factory in Springfield, MA closed in 1953. The Enfield Indians were sold in the US from 1955 up to 1960. The last ones sold in 1960 had 16 inch wheels, and were sold using the name Chief. The earlier ones all had more conventional British looks, and sold under various model names. No Enfields were sold in the US during that period under the Enfield name.
Mine is a Tomahawk. It's a 500 twin, but most closely resembles the Royal Enfield Constellation in appearance, which was a high performance 700.
If yours is a Trailblazer, as Kev pointed out, it would most closely correspond with the Meteor in appearance, but the engine may be the same as the Constellation engine, which was quite a bit hotter than the Meteor engine. The fenders on mine in the picture are meteor/trailblazer fenders. Mine should have alloy blade fenders. (bought some very nicely made modern production ones from India for $130/pair!)
The Indian models did not precisely correspond with the Royal Enfield models, the factory built them according to specifications from the Indian Sales Corp.

One of the really great advantages to owning a vintage Royal Enfield these days, is that many of the parts currently produced in India for the modern Enfields will work on the old ones.
I've heard of people adapting the cafe racer kits you can get for modern Enfields to their 1950's or 60's twin cylinder models.
Many of these bikes have performance on a par with the high performance models from other contemporary British makers.

The clutch part you have in your hand in the photo is from the earlier "scissors action" cluch, which used a ball and ramp mechanism with a lever that resembled a pair of scissors to actuate, and was housed entirely in the primary case.
The other clutch is a more conventional pushrod actuated clutch, which had a lever in the outer gearbox cover.
The timing case in the lower picture has a cutout for attaching a Smiths tachometer drive box, which is turned by the exhaust cam. This is indicative of a higher performance engine.

After you send the engine and frame numbers to the email address I PM'd you, you'll know what model you've got. (be sure to include the letters in front of the engine number. They're unique for each model of engine)

caponerd screwed with this post 10-30-2011 at 05:53 PM
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote