Thread: Harley XR1200
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #279
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenngineer View Post
I want one of these, but I sat on one this weekend and did some research...its heavier, and has less top end than the Strom, and is less comfortable. Torque peaks at about the same place, but torque delivers across the rev range better on the XR, and it looks better, but I just can't get behind spending a lot of cash to trade down is so many dimensions.

A Griso, on the other hand....
I had an XR for 2 yrs and 24k, I wouldn't discount it so quickly, it's a wicked fun bike to ride. I had an R1100S and an R1150GS before it, and am currently on the Tiger 800. In terms of performance - and practically any measure of it - any of these three would leave the XR for dead, but "fun" is not always equivalent to speed or performance.

The XR is plenty fast for spirited, but sane, street riding paces. I actually bought mine to slow down without trading away any fun, and it did not disappoint in that regard. I really, really loved how that motor put power down through the twisties... more so than the BMWs or Triumph.

And odd as it may seem for such a lowly performer, that Harley ripped the shit of tires like no other. And a first for me - in 35 yrs of riding - six sets of tires, all worn out on the sides before the centers. I'm now back to my normal flat spotting of rear tires with the Tiger.

Ultimately, though, quality and reliability issues with the HD did me in - I was near lemon lawing my bike more than once. After the 2yr warranty was up.... I was out, and never to return.