View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #154
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,858
Sunday we got up and hit breakfast. It didn't get so cold out, so I was itching to get going because I had a big agenda.

Things get interesting before you're really out of Clayton.

Blue Ridge Gap is a great road. I worked my way over to Plum Orchard and Popcorn.

The leaves are still really nice in this neck of the woods.

I had hoped to make a run up to Brasstown Bald, but I was in a squeeze for time. About 20 years ago, I used to run around this area with my Sabre. I wanted to see if the roads were as good as I remembered.

More white aggregate material. It's sparkly, too.

Make time for this highway. It's worth it.

I looped back into Clayton. It was 12:00. Boy, I'm late. I did another run over Warwoman and up 28. Then Horse Cove Road out of Highlands. Fun road! It's like it was made to be a Versys proving grounds.

Bull Pen road is awesome.

You could go kayaking or canoeing here, but it would take an act of the federal government.

I ran down 107 into South Carolina and then up to Whitewater Falls.

NC 281 goes right up there with the best of them. Then over Charlie Creek and up 215 to the Parkway. Then down 276 to Pisgah Forest.

I then slabbed it home and made it before dark. Layla called. One of her party had an unfortunate incident at The Thing and broke a rib and maybe punctured a lung. They had to go back into Tallulah Gorge to hump his boat out and then run his car to the hospital. No punctured lung, so he was being released. He's going to have a shiner from smacking his face off of the rock as well. Ouch! Heal quickly.

This trip put the point under the exclamation mark about the necessity to visit Rabun, Towns, White counties more frequently. Someday, I'll make it to Suches.

Thanks for looking!

Gaston Gagne screwed with this post 11-07-2011 at 03:56 PM
Gaston Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote