View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 PM   #117
RedRockRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
Gold Butte Road, near Mesquite, NV

Good weather in St. George yesterday. Time for a ride. Temperature was in the mid 50s, slightly warmer towards Nevada. Plan was to get out the Vulcan 900 and drive south on I-15 through the Virgin River Gorge to Mesquite, NV. Easy run on the cruiser.

Had time and decided to check out Gold Butte Road. Amazingly, this is paved, albeit a bit beat up, all the way to Whitney Pockets. Interesting way to access the AZ strip.

For those not familiar with the area, Mesquite NV as lots of gas, food and hotels. Everything you might need/want. But, no bike shops.

Here's the map. Benchmark Nevada.

First stop was the Cedar Pockets exit in the Virgin River Gorge. There is one dirt road which leaves here heading north, then turns west to Old 91. Good ride, but I haven't been on it for a year. Will detail up at some point. Not the right road for the Vulcan.

Looking south down I-15, further into the gorge, from the overpass.

Sign and scenery in the gorge. For dirt rides to the top of the AZ side see post #2, for the UT side post #3.

Wanted to find this road (access point). Turns to dirt quickly. Just on south side of bridge over Virgin River in Mesquite. The Lime Kiln Canyon Road promises to be an interesting route to the high country of the AZ strip. Future ride.

Virgin River, looking upstream from bridge near Riverside, NV. There is nothing (no town) at Riverside except the bridge.

Welcome sign, just a few miles in.

Typical scenery. Virgin Mountains in distance. Traces of snow. Peak elevation about 8,000 ft. Photo taken about 2,000 ft.

Road surface. It's paved, but it's rough. Only one or two low spots would be prone to water. Overall, a surprisingly good road.

Sign. More interesting sign to follow.

The Vulcan on the road.

This sign caught my eye.

And the reverse side. I gave it the proper salute! Somebody did have a sense of humor.

V-twin. Perhaps not the best for smaller roads, but it would get me home (back up I-15) quickly.

Fisherman's Cove is on Lake Mead which could be seen in the distance. This road isn't paved and the afternoon light was fading, so I stayed on the paved road to Whitney Pockets.

Moonrise above Whitney Pockets, at the end of the paved road. Lots of high quality dirt from here. Future rides!

Last pic, retracing path back to Mesquite, then home to St. George.

Ride safe. Thanks for followin' along!

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote