View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 07:24 AM   #25565
rydnseek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,888
I just changed out 2 rear tires on my x.. both knobbies. I saw those videos a few years back & have incorporated several of the techniques in my own. I don't have the nice stand, so i end up doing it on the ground or floor. But here are important details in changing. I got both of mine on at Tom's a couple of weeks back in less than an hour total.

1. Warm the tires. It was a sunny day, so i set both of the tires in the back of my truck in the sun to prewarm them. I've also put them in front of a radiant heater to warm them up. ..makes it a lot easier to handle.

2. Some air in the tubes. Like Doug's video, a little air in the tube makes getting the valve stem in a lot easier.

3. Powder in the tire & tube. I just sprinkle baby powder inside the tire, then rotate it around a bit to spread it out. I usually do it after one bead is on the rim.

4. Get the bead down in the wheel. If the bead hangs up on the rim, it will be impossible to spoon it on. You have to be sure the bead is down inside the wheel well. ..both sides.

5. I don't soap the whole rim, but only the last foot or so as i spoon it on. It lets the tire hold on the rim without the bead buddy. I got a bead buddy a couple of years ago & used it, but i don't have one on the trail, & I also like alternate solutions.. I push the tire on & spoon a couple of sections until it starts to get hard. Then i spray on the window cleaner, spoon the rest, done. It's probably better to lube the whole rim.. it seats a little better that way.

6. Doug did not break the bead on my shinkos. They are a very stiff bead & sidewall & took me a lot of time to break, with my full body weight & some hammering on the tire. I took the tire spoons & pushed the bead down, & hit the sidewalls with a 2# hammer while applying pressure. Some time it takes 2 spoons & moving it around. Breaking the bead is the toughest part on some of the stiff rear tires. I'd like to see him break a bead on a teraflex with his fingers!

7. Pay attention to the details. When learning a new skill, it is the details we often miss when doing it. Those techniques make a difference in easy or hard.

8. On the trail, a bit of water will do for rim lube. Few of us carry windex. A small can of wd40 is a good idea.. i have one when travelling, for cleaning the chain. That would also work for lubing the rim.
rydnseek is offline   Reply With Quote