Thread: GPS help
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
I am new to this page but have been using Garmin GPS's for a long time. I am seeing lots of stuff I don't recognize.

What is this BaseCamp? I looked on the Garmin page and it looks kind of nice. I always use Mapsource. Is BaseCamp meant to be a replacement?

BTW. I navigate using tracks. But I also create routes on my computer because it is a lot easier to do "what if" tests using routes - mainly to see how long a leg is and how far it is to gas. Once I have finalized a route I hand draw the track and/or splice together pieces of my and other peoples tracks.

I also take the time to create manual waypoints once the the route is set. I just like seeing them on the screen. I number them from 1-50 to make sure I don't exceed the 50 limit for a lot of units for follow-the-road routing.

Also I plan rides for large groups and distribute the navigation data. Some of the guys just prefer routes even though I tell them that they are not always going to work due to routing differences and the fact that I often include roads that are not in City Nav.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote