View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #35
DolphinJohn OP
Not Fragile

Oddometer: 3,916
Next up on the FTR schedule was Bartow, FL on 11/6

I had heard that this property was very nice and the course would be a lot of fun and one of the best of the season. I was not disappointed as the course was tough but beautiful. The area was actually a little bit hilly (by Florida standards) and there were not many roots, not much soft sand, and only one real muddy section. The Sunrunners Club did a great job of laying out a challenging route with some steep up and downs, lots of tight trees, some jumps here and there, and even a small motocross section. It finishes with a big step-up jump nicknamed the Escalator.

Here is a video taken by a rider in another class, but shows the course. The trees start at around 2:30 and get tighter further in to the race.

I think I did pretty well. I did three laps and finished in the middle of the pack, 16th out of 27. Fitness is definitely an issue with the longer course and racing 2 hours instead of the 1 1/2 hours in the beginner class. My legs were starting to cramp and I was sitting way more than I should have been on the last lap.

I had a couple of drops and stalled the bike once in a sandy uphill section that took quite a few kicks to get started, but no crashes and I had my first Sunday race completed. It was the best feeling to see that checkered flag!!

I'm looking forward to the next race, especially after the soreness is gone and I can walk normally.

Thanks for reading! See ya in December.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote