View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #73
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
New York City: Halloween

The only other time I had experienced Halloween in a big city was in Austin, on 6th street, when I was in college. NYC was a completely different animal. We headed down to the annual parade in the Village with our cameras in hand and spent the next 6 hours photographing the mayhem. 80,000 people in 16 blocks all along 6th avenue. Just epic.

This guy (the Black Swan) was casually standing off to himself with nobody noticing him until we walked up. Kristen began giving him directions to pose in different way until she finally said, "I'm taking video! Give me a swirl!" which resulted in some pretty creepy video and an odd photo. Wow.

We loved seeing costumed people doing normal things.

I find it really funny that despite the 80,000 people crammed into a few narrow streets, a construction crew managed to take up the leftover space right in the middle of it all.

We eventually made our way to Grand Central Station, but not before I got us lost and we ended up in the Bronx.

I had this piece of pizza, called the Kraken, which ultimately tore my stomach apart. The name should have tipped me off.

And finally, we made it back on to the subway to go to Shannon's apartment. But not before we had a few more photo opportunities.

Yes. We wore gnome hats. I know, I know...

And finally, my favorite shot of the whole night. Thank you, Chewbaca, for taunting me from the subway car in front of us.

We barely made it back before crashing. Hard.

Our time in NYC was now complete. Without friends to put us up, we could have never financially stayed as long as we did. Many thanks to these 2 folks...

We headed out of the city the next day...

...with no idea of the hassle we were about to go through. We hadn't taken into consideration just how bad the power outages were to the north. And so we headed up the cost and into Connecticut before realizing that we were not going to be finding any accommodation anywhere north of the New York City. Many families had flooded south in search of a warm room due to their homes being without power. With the sun setting, we backtracked 6 hours, past NYC, before finding a room in Pennsylvania. And it was 28 degrees outside. My wife is a trooper.

Next up: Philadelphia then back Claude Stanley's shop for new shocks!

mightymatt43 screwed with this post 02-11-2014 at 02:21 PM
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote