View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #198
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
ok spud thanks, ps
i have invited Michael Brat to the thread because he has actually had a frame failure and has great knowledge on this subject
You're welcome, Mike. I look forward to hearing Mike Bratcher's viewpoints on this subject.

I think the brace for the battery box strengthens the left side of the XR650L subframe. However, the battery box weighs over ten pounds, and I don't think the subframe benefits from having the battery box slamming on it. I have read reports of a few battery boxes breaking off during long trips into rough terrain.

I'm glad I removed the battery box when I relocated my Shorai battery to the top of the airbox. However, one can remove 5 pounds of weight from the battery box by merely substituting a Shorai battery for the stock battery.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote