View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #200
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Ya it should be interesting , I think its best to configure the struts to help the stock-bike because most riders leave there bikes stock, but many change the muffler so that would be the 2nd, then the battery seems to be the 3rd upgrade that would effect the fitment of the strut of course theres always the guys like me that want a tractor tire , can you guys think of any i have missed I would like to hang some additional mounting points onto them as well we have a 150 ton brake press to bend them and a 4000 watt laser to cut them but we need to keep the cost down for the rider these need to be affordable as hell guys
I think there's a good chance my left Spud Strut will fit with the stock battery box in place. If it doesn't fit over the battery box, I don't think my left Spud Strut will need to be modified very much; adding a tab, or a spacer behind the front bolt will probably suffice.

Clearance for wide tires will not be an issue. My Spud Struts leave lots of room for even the largest tires.

Accommodating different mufflers is not a problem, since my right Spud Strut is located inside the muffler. You will merely need to add a tab to the front of my right Spud Strut, so it can directly contact the frame gusset, as shown below.

My modified, right Spud Strut will require the XR650L owner to remove the plastic tab at the bottom of the airbox, but this will not compromise the strength of the airbox. I would rather remove the airbox tab, than weld gussets onto the bike's frame.

If I were going to weld, I would prefer to add a single bolt holder, such as the ones used to attach the battery box to the frame. I would weld the bolt holder to the right side of the frame, down by the muffler pipe, as shown in the following, doctored photograph.

Then one could bolt a straight Spud Strut on the right side, as shown below.

Here's a photograph simulating the installation of two, straight Spud Stuts on the frame of the bike.

However, as I said before, I would prefer to remove the airbox tab, and bolt directly to the existing gusset, rather than do any welding at all.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 11-23-2011 at 12:05 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote