View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 11:43 AM   #23
kramnamhoh OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
This is not a good start....

At about mile #150, I have to switch to reserve. apparently, overloaded KLRs with low rear tires in a headwind get terrible mileage. Mr garmin says it still about 50 miles to a gas station. Not good....

At about mile 180, the KLR rolls to a stop for about the third time in a few miles. I shake bike back and forth, but no luck. I'm hoping that I can lean it to the left enough to get some of the last of the gas on the right to the petcock. Only problem is the bike is so heavy from all the crap I'm carrying. I get myself braced and lean it down onto my knee, and shake it around. I get enough fuel to make it a few more miles to the gas station at Nixon, Nevada.

I decide to go to walmart in Fernley to get some slime. Maybe that will plug up the slow leak enough to get me to Arizona, where the bike shop has a heavy duty tube waiting for me.

I put the slime in. Man, that stuff works great. It immediately plugs the base of the valve stem so that no air is going in or out anymore. Time to call AAA....
Attached Images

kramnamhoh is offline   Reply With Quote