View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Ian Robinson OP
SlowRobo

Oddometer: 286
11 years ago I had this crazy idea to ride a Mountain Bike ( MTB) from Charleville the Burke & Wills "dig tree" via Birdsville. A distance of about 1500km. there were a few problems, carrying enough water was the main one as there were a couple of sections around 400km with no water available. I managed to fix 22 1/4 ltres on but unfortunately this ride proved to be a bit too ambitious. I gave it away at Birdsville after 990km.

I am now 62, and the fact I failed to complete that ride has been chewing away at me for too long. I mention this only as I was very keen to see any changes along this road. It is now wider, more signs and even a few rest stops.

Day 4. Windorah to Birdsville .390km. ( first 110k bitumen) the strong southerly was still blowing . I stopped for a quick photo op and the old KLR blew over. To my surprise I couldn't lift it up, I had started to un pack a bit of weight when a caravan came along to help. I can remember thinking, this situation could be interesting if I threw it away in the sand on the Cordillo road. Apart from a near miss with a roo the next 9 hrs went smoothly.
Attached Images

Ian Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote