11-26-2011, 09:04 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Day 5: Kenora, ON to Sleeping Giant Provincial Park (Thunder Bay), ON (579 km)
- · A bit of an awkward start leaving Kenora. Backtracked west from Ray and Loretta’s place back to the bypass, then ended up coming back in on Veterans Dive to get fuel … almost all the way back to Keewatin.
- · Discovered that the SPOT wouldn’t power up. Tried changing the batteries, but no change. Spent an hour on the 1-800 number starting a warranty claim. Lady on the call centre (from Quebec) wasn’t terribly helpful. Nobody was around on an Sunday to ship a replacement, so I need to call back tomorrow. The 'false alarms' that the unit sent yesterday from the boat must have been its death rattle.
- · Got up to 35C today … over 40 with the humidex. And smokey from Sioux Lookout turnoff to approx. 100km from Thunder Bay. I was stopping every 1 to 1.5 hours to take fluids. Approx. 10km from Thunder Bay, the temp dropped from 35 to 25 C in about 3 km … it was fantastic!!! (I’ve never been so glad to see 25C).
- Stopped at the Terry Fox Memorial ... nice facility ... well done.
- · Road from Hwy 1 to Silver Inlet was fantastic!! Not quite as tight as the twisties on the the Bow Valley Parkway at home, but close. Was getting close to 7pm local time (lost an hour at TB) so I was a bit nervous about deer.
- · Nice campspot … was across the road from the lake-front sites. A bit pricey for tenting, but nice. Temperature dropped around dinner time … bugs were OK.
- · Need to do 612km tomorrow, but long days and no time change tomorrow so it should be fine.
- · Dinner: Chicken Teriyaki with Rice.
- · Libation: Glenrothes Select Reserve
- · Smoke: pipe and Swisher Sweets (saving stogeys, but will need to burn the last cubano before entering the US).
- · Tunes today: All Hip … “Fully Completely”, “In Violet Light”, and “Phantom Power”.
~ If it's got a motor or tits ... expect problems! ~
Pray4Snow screwed with this post 11-30-2011 at 07:06 PM