View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM   #52
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
Thanks for the lengthy reviews of fracture to walking. It gives me an approximate time-line. I'm hoping that having my ankle reduced within 10 minutes of the accident will shorten my recovery; time will tell.
I had a similar (and preventable) experience as mentioned in one of the posts. My wife picked me up at the hospital in Spartanburg, SC the day after surgery and we drove 4 hours to our house just south of Knoxville, TN. I had positioned myself on the rear seat so I could prop my leg up; however, not above my heart. The trip became agonal. My ankle and foot swelled immensely. I became so nauseated from the pain I thought I was going to vomit. By the time we arrived home blood was oozing from my bandage. Knowing better now I should have laid down in the rear with my foot elevated well above my head.
I am experiencing a strange sensation and was wondering if it has occurred with others. When they removed my splint and bandaging it felt as though I had a piece of adhesive tape running the length of the bottom of my foot; most notable over the ball of the foot. Before the cast was applied I mentioned that I thought they had left a piece of tape on the bottom of my foot. The looked and said no. I then reached down and only felt really tense skin (from swelling), no tape. The feeling has persisted and I'm wondering if it is the plantar facia?
Before fracturing my ankle I had just purchased a new Cannondale Synapse carbon bike. Took it home with the intent of doing some serious bicycle riding on my return. Fortunately I have a trainer and can pop off the front wheel and mount the bike in it. I surmise I'm looking at 8 weeks before doing this?
Again, a very sincere thanks to all who have posted their experiences with an ankle fracture. It is reassuring to have some idea of what the future holds.
PETDOC is offline   Reply With Quote