Thread: XS650 Appresh
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #492
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides View Post
OK, The swap is done and I've got 'bout 45 miles on her. Still making final adjustments.
The clutch slips and I wanted to get the collective assesment/trouble shoot.
Here's the facts as I know them;
1981 motor
Clutch is working fine, disengaging, engaging, shifting, ect.
Has proper freeplay at lever...did adjust her at rod...
At about 4,500-5,000 rpm I can get a slip if I'm pushing it.
I thought I felt slippage when the motor was in the test bike and I was going up+down the block.
Now that she's in a registered bike and I can really run it, I'm sure it slips.

Previous owner had it a long time and rode 16,000 miles. Bike has sat alot over the years.
Never been rebuilt, stock stuff.
PO had an oil change when he put it up for sale...it's clean, I have not touched it yet.

So, I'll have to remove the right side cover, (wanted to polish it anyway).
I have read that stock clutch springs loose their strength.
Honestly though, I have never had a clutch problem or slippage on any of the 650 motors I've abused over the years, (much abuse!)

So...I'll get her fixed up, but wondered about the trials+tribulations others have had, and what to look for.
Could just be a need for new springs and addressing some glazed plates, could be the oil.
Just going through that process now, towing a trailer [150kg+] probably didn't help,
I had heavy duty MikesXS springs [which I now consider stuffed!], new steel plates / new fibre plates, this combo did 45K kms before packing it in.
Conditions were;
1. hot day, heavy traffic [lots of red lights going though Canberra - 20kms],
2. heavy load, trailer / two-up
3. added a different oil in a top-up [probably had additives in it!]
4. 45,000kms [mostly hard, lot of off-road enduro stuff]

Now replacing with [new];- Kevlar type fibre plates, steel plates, heavy duty springs & clutch cable.
heavy spring make for a heavy clutch pull so will be lengthening the actuator arm @ bottom of cluth cable on left-hand side of the motor.
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote