View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #306
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreis View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will probably buy an airbag jacket before the new season starts and if it will be one from hit air (which is the prevailing idea for me right now), I'll certainly try to enhance it.

You could at least offer it as a separate option. Some fall arresting devices are not that expensive (ref [1]) and those are made to certain standards (ref [2]) so your Japanese partners could talk to someone who already dealt with these problems and learn from them or strike up a collaboration.

In any case, thank you for your reply & interest.

[1] - 130$ on the client side, so it must be much lower for production price
[2] - they have to withstand serious wear & tear, plus, work even if they're covered in oil or gunk and usually come equipped with a service life indicator, which shows how much longer it's going to fulfill said standards
Even if you say a production cost of $40 that is almost a 10% increase in the overall price of the vest, not counting profit. I would imagine if you could produce a "stand alone" "upgrade" you would have to sell it in the region of $70 to make it worth while. So multiple the $70 by the number of bike some folks have, 1 client ordered 10 tethers!!!!!(yes he has 10 bikes) How many people would decide to buy the "upgrade"?
I can see where the idea is but the current K.I.S.S principle tether works well
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote