View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 PM   #37
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Issues with the adjusting the length of the dog bones?

I'm curious what the effect of shortening or lengthening the dog bones might have on the rear suspension. I have a KTM 640 and have put different dogbones on to reduce the height a bit (short legs) and this has definately affected the feel of the suspension, as it feels harder initially and bottoms more easily. The concensus as to why this is occuring (if I recall correctly) seems to be that doing this affects the rising rate of the suspension for the worse. I also tried a greater reduction in ride height and the effect was more pronounced, with the shock bottoming way to easily. If anyone is interested I can probably find a link to a long thread about this.

On a related note I think a longer swinging arm would give greater leverage on the shock, but this could probably be tuned out with a heavier spring and a re valve as the rising rate effect would not be compromised (I think).

Anyone any other thoughts about this? At the end of the day I'm just wondering if a bit more travel could be gained and at the risk of offending the DR afficonados, as slightly better fork/shock be adapted to fit?

That said though the DR/SV suspension certainly fits with the ethos of the bike and it's suited purpose, I'm just curious I suppose what's possible with the GS.

Cheers,

Adrian

Cheers,

Adrian
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote