View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #5570
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
The elephant in the room isn't the accuracy of the paper map product or how well your GPS works, with or without Bicimapas or any version of it.

The fun part is being able to figure out the Mexican highway signage system which on one hand is modern and state-of-the-art and on the other hand can be a rompecabeza (puzzle) of the highest magnitude.

And the real irony here is that being temporarily "misplaced" in Mexico is actually one of the very best charms of being down there. You never know what you'll discover.

The above can be proven by the fact that once a motorcyclist has been down there a time or two, they're never back here posting questions on where they can get a more accurate map or the latest GPS.
And then there's the part where entering some towns is the near equivalent to being on a bike then placed in a jug and shaken well and tossed out to fend for yourself.There were a couple of times I really wondered if I'd be in Guadalajara for the rest of my life? Signs behind trees, signs never made yet,signs that have become a floorboard or house building materials,signs that are spelled differently than the map, names that are not on the map, all in a days fun in Mexico!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote