Thread: Is Mexico Safe?
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #5573
Markkit
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
In chasing around researching interesting b/w photos of Old Mexico, I found another by Agustin Casasola, but in that process I found a website dedicated to the history of the Huarache.

Here is the link to the Huarache Blog. I think some of you will find it interesting.

Photo by Agustin Casasola
Ha! Thats my blog! Thanks for the link.

I must add that having ridden my DR650 from Portland, Oregon in to Mexico down and beyond Guadalajara to Michoacan the summer of 2010, despite the warnings by the US border agents in Presidio Texas, I found it quite safe. Mostly the roads were very light in traffic and Mexicans drive quite slowly so it felt safe. In tight traffic city situations I felt it was probably easier on my bike to weave out of a tight spot than if had been in a car. Many Mexican drivers are also quite courteous and will drive as far to the side of the road as possible to let you pass with oncoming traffic.

I got lost a few times trying the smaller roads and asked for directions and the locals were quite helpful. I was pulled over only once entering Guadalajara by a bike cop, but although not friendly he didn't try and fine me after he checked all my paperwork.

The only thing I was weary of were the odd horse walking on the road.

There are some photos of my bike trip to Mexico on my blog www.mexicanhuaracheodyssey.wordpress.com

Markkit screwed with this post 12-08-2011 at 12:37 PM Reason: adding more specific link to motorcycle travel in Mexico
Markkit is offline   Reply With Quote