View Single Post
Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #5579
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markkit View Post
Ha! Thats my blog! Thanks for the link.

I must add that having ridden my DR650 from Portland, Oregon in to Mexico down and beyond Guadalajara to Michoacan the summer of 2010, despite the warnings by the US border agents in Presidio Texas, I found it quite safe. Mostly the roads were very light in traffic and Mexicans drive quite slowly so it felt safe. In tight traffic city situations I felt it was probably easier on my bike to weave out of a tight spot than if had been in a car. Many Mexican drivers are also quite courteous and will drive as far to the side of the road as possible to let you pass with oncoming traffic.

I got lost a few times trying the smaller roads and asked for directions and the locals were quite helpful. I was pulled over only once entering Guadalajara by a bike cop, but although not friendly he didn't try and fine me after he checked all my paperwork.

The only thing I was weary of were the odd horse walking on the road.

There are some photos of my bike trip to Mexico on my blog www.mexicanhuaracheodyssey.wordpress.com

I hilighted in yellow some very remarkable comments about travel in Mexico. (Having just come back to the US from Mexico via Presidio, I laugh because a Presidio border agent told me the same thing).

I also thank you for another link (last line of your post) that will now cause me to lose the rest of this afternoon
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote