View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #132
Kristof Granit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat Sever View Post
Reliability of an Ural on 3500km?
A - 2850km from Irbit (factory) to Novorossiysk (On the Black Sea Coast)
1st Day:
15th June I went to Irbit at the Ural factory to take my Ural Gear Up, the side was assembled in the afternoon and deliver to me by 5pm, after filling the tank at the nearest station I start my journey with the first step to Ekaterinburg (241km)
2nd Day: 16/06/2011 - Ekaterinburg/Ufa -- 547km
3rd Day: 17/06/2011 - Ufa/Samara -- 419km
4th Day: 18/06/2011 - Samara/Saratov -- 437km
5th Day: 19/06/2011 - Saratov/Rostov -- 712km
6th Day: 20/06/2011 - Rostov/Novorossiysk -- 488km
Total: 2844km
Pictures of the journey:
https://picasaweb.google.com/VivreRu...rUp2WDJuin2011

Mechanical report::
According to the owner manual the first oil change is at 500km, but I have done it at 1200km and only the engine… Gear Box and final transmission at the end of the trip (…)
The first day I try to “respect” the 60km/h maxi but second day and others I drove mostly around 80km/h and at the end some time above when I need to overtake a lorry.
From the first day to the last no oil consumption, level stay at the same mark.
Problems?
Day 5 in the evening, contactor for the rear “stop light” stay “on” permanently, next morning I bought some WD40 and it was solve…
Two sandows from the side-cover get broken, it will cost me less to ask a local sawyer to repair them than to send back the cover to the factory, I don’t even know if there is a guaranty on it (…)
Paint under the opening of the luggage bonnet get heavy scratch and even “disappear” in some places due to the vibrations metal/metal… I could have read more RR and prepare the bike before and also do some improvement as soon the problem appear but instead I have continue to ride…
And that’s it for the mechanical report…

Ps: By the way I never drove a side before not even a test drive…
December 14th

I have closed the 2011 season, with almost 9000km from June 15th to December 16th. Six months and 9000km?
Well in fact due to my work, far from home, I drove the Ural only 3 months...
The Ural was used mostly on "secondary roads", few times this summer I went for off-road.

1- First ride 2850km from the factory to home in June
2- Daily rides 1470km August
3- Second ride 3263km, went to Moscow and back in October
4 - Daily rides 417km end of October and beginning of December
5- Third ride, 729km mid December
Total: 8729km
Longest period of storage without running: 5 weeks, the battery was unplugged.
The Ural start at the first attempt when I came back from work.

And so, what about the reliability ?
- Oil changed before the ride to Moscow, motor, gear box and transmission then once again before the last ride.
No linkage under the bike and never add oil on the rides...

- Rear tire on the bike changed at 4320km and before my last ride I installed 2 K37 "Malte" (I order the new M+S Silicia) but I received 2 "Malte" from 2009...
Option 1: give me my money back, but no tyres for my little ride
Option 2: I show to the dealer the price of "ordinary" K37, I give me some money back and I went home to ask my friends Google about the "K37 Malte", informations were Ok so I decided to install them. In fact I have got only 2(...) I even phone to the Ural importer in Austria (very nice people) to get one but unfortunately DHL or UPS refuses to deal with "individuals" in Russia (too much trouble with customs)

So I have the K37 on the bike and "ordinary" tyre on the hack

- Plugs and air filter still the originals from D1 at the factory. I will replace them for the opening of the season.

So almost 9000km and no report of breakdown even minors.

I didn't loose any bolts, I didn't tide the bolts after each rides...
I just replaced the head light (burned) at 8000km
To be honest I have done less than the recommended maintenance...