View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #27
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
I'm the same hight, and inseam as yourself, and I was recently looking for a better two up bike than my R1200GS, and started looking at the Harley touring bikes. I test road an '08 E-glide Standard, an '08 Street Glide, and a '12 Street Glide. They really were nice bikes. Looked great, nice fit and finish, and the dealers really did treat me well.

The '08 E-Glide standard was a little strange for me the first time I'll pulled away from a dead stop turing at the same time. Maybe because of different rake and trail than I was used to. Once I was used to that, which was pretty quick, it was a piece of cake to ride. I did some parking lot maneuvers, which were quite easy and then got on the highway and cruised. The comfort was great. That slow turning twin almost hipnotic at 70 mph. With stock pipes, it wasn't very loud either.

The '12 Street Glide was rougher as others have said, and with the stubby windshield buffetting was pretty bad. The 103 engine was really nice, and brakes were quite nice as well. It would have needed a taller shield, and a new seat to be really comfortable. However, with a price tag near 21K, it would make more sense to buy a classic with all of that already included for the same price. A much better value.

I did enjoy the Harley's, but In the end, I found a very nice used '09 R1200RT, and never went back to the Harley. I live closer to a BMW dealer, and I already had the tools and no-how to work on the bike myself. The wife likes the RT as well.