View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
Just Paul OP
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Best Mod ever for quick, no mess oil changes for your 9*0

Hey KTM 990 Owners,

I was at my buddy Chris's house (Bikyto on ADV) and bitching about my messy 50 minute oil changes and how hard it can be to get the screw back into the sump with the metal bracket in the way when doing oil changes. He said O I fixed that and he showed me his and I was like wow you don't have to take the screw out anymore. (see Pic)

I was installing the Scotts Auto Chain Oiler at the time and taking my bike to Tim's (Quik on ADV) for help on a valve check so I already had the tanks off.. Sweet !

While the bike was at Tims he ground off the metal piece needed to make the part work and installed the device...

Now I don't spill any oil on the floor when draining my sump.. In the past I have ended up with a ton of oil on the ground that splashed off the metal piece and covered a 3 square foot area in my garage... No more..

This will require

removing crash bars
Removing the upper fairing
Left Tank
unclipping electrical connectors and fuel lines for 990 owners
taking a dremel and grinding away the material
assembing the parts and removing the oil plug and installing the new plug
connecting all the connectors back
and installing tank, upper fairing and crash bars.

Parts list is below and where to get them.. Just copy paste the part numbers into the search bar on Summitracing

Summitracing.com

Part Number Part Description QTY

EAR-9919DFGERL -6 AN TO 12MM-1.5 ADAPTER QTY-1

RUS-632050 PROFLEX HOSE #6-3 QTY-1

SUM-220630 -06 PLUG AN ALUMINUM QTY-1

SUM-220690 6AN HOSE END STRAIGHT QTY-2

Thanks again Chris for sharing this and Tim for doing the work..

Paul

BTW: I don't remove my crashbars or tanks when doing an oil change normally. I am aware of the cardboard funnel trick and the aluminum foil trick (I have 40k on my bike and have used both).. this is better in my opinion.

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote