View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #22
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Take you pick of pretty much any big traillie bike on this board and you will find people for & against it. Most people who own Triumph Triples do so because of the engines, it is a sound that just gets into your soul. I always read posts about so-called poor reliability with Triumphs, but I have yet to see much in the way of actual proof. Some early 885 models had issues with the sprag clutch if the battery was weak, but that is likely the worst of it and that was addressed years ago. My 885 has roughly 25,000km on it and has needed nothing other than routine maintenance. From what I read/see, the 955i Tigers are about as bulletproof as they come. The good thing about the 955i models is there is pretty good aftermarket support if you want to dress them up a bit too. I love my 885 but that is one drawback, not much in the way of farkles unless you want to go across the pond to find stuff.

IMO, the V-Stroms are like Swiss Army knives. Solid, reliable, practical, good at lots of things but doesn't really excel at anything. Neither bike is likely to disappoint you but they will certainly make you smile for different reasons. Until you have the opportunity to try both out in the flesh, it will be tough to choose.