Old 01-09-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
keiji
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesG View Post
I change my own as well.

BUT

Its not $0, or "Free". How much did the changing equipment cost? Even if you are like me and made your own DIY changer out of an old car rim, some 2x4s and misc. hardware, the tire irons cost some. Also your time isn't free. So if it even only takes you an hour to change tires (more like 3 or 4 for me), do you work for minimum wage or more than that? Even if you discount your labor costs, there is still the opportunity costs, you could be doing something else instead of wrestling rubber.

That is the actual "cost" of DIY tire changing.Most people will find that its actually cheaper to have a shop do it unless you have more time than money or you a masochist who likes doing it (me).
That's what I thought too...and then I realized that I could pull, change, and mount a tire in less time than it took to get to the nearest shop and back(nobody is paying me to drive my car either. 2 2'x'4's, some cut up poland spring jugs, and maybe $20 in tire irons.

I would either be wasting my time driving to the shop, or I could be wasting it changing my tire. After the first tire change, the "tools" have already paid for themselves. If you are pulling your rims to get the discounted rate, you are almost all the way there anyway.
keiji is offline   Reply With Quote