View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #10654
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
...I put my left hand on the crash-bar and my right hand on the left passenger's grip. ...
The standard Honda centre stand comes with a bracket that bolts on behind the passenger footrest. Unfortunately, this bracket is sometimes in the way of some pannier brackets and are removed. You really need it, or something to else to grip to get this right. Gripping the passenger footrest or the panic handles at the back (especially if you're short) won't do it

When my pannier frames are mounted, I grab hold of them. You can even mount a small handle on the pannier itself to give you assistance.

It is also a lot more difficult to do when the bike is loaded up and there is sag in teh rear suspension, as you basically have to lift the bike up enough to compenste for the sag and then over the apex of the stand. I.e. if your bike has a 100kg onit, you'll be lifting close to that before you can get it on the stand. When fully loaded, I find that it's easier if a use some momentum- e.g. half-lift, drop, 3/4 lift drop and over she goes...

But as with any manual handling- try and keep your back straight and use your knees. I find by pressing my backside against the pannier, using my left hand on the outside of the pannier (I have a bracket there, or just on the under side of the pannier itself) and lifting with my kness, its easy.

Honda stands are not the same as other (BMW's and some other manufactureres) stands that have a rounded lip and a foot-press to assist you.

Squily

Squily screwed with this post 01-10-2012 at 02:40 PM Reason: spelling
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote