View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #172
PSchrauber
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by r2wtrials View Post
How things change in a few weeks!! I have sold my lovely 290 Beta Evo and now have a 90kg collection of bits that will be a 1980 SWM TL320.!!

After my knee injury i never really got right again in the head and was not riding my Beta much. After the ride on my mates SWM i realised how much i had enjoyed the day and just wanted to do it again.. so here we are. Back to the future!! 31 years ago i owned one of these and won club events on it, lets see if history can repeat itself!!

The engine is having a new 4th gear fitted.. the bike has mainly only ever been used on the road so all in good condition considering!

Very nice, I'am stuck to these rotary valve engines too. I just aquired a SWM TL.NW 320 tooas a daily training machine, the bike stood in north Italy in a small village in the Alpes. Just now the bike is shipped to my home address, (shipping was cheaper then driving down and up again for me if you only count the costs for gas).

By the way the SWM was tested against the Fantic 240 back in these days by the French motorcycle magazine Moto Verde and they where very close up in overall, (OK the Fantic won by one point).

Still very competetive, when I rode my Bultaco back in 1981/82 in youth trials, (riding a 175cc Sherpa), I was regulary outclassed by a guy that had a 125cc SWM. Compared to the Bultaco the SWM was a feather and had much better throttle response. Just for record in 1981 the trials worldcup was won by Gilles Burgat on a SWM TL 320.

Looking forward to any progress of your rebuild.
PSchrauber is offline   Reply With Quote