View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #843
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,734
I combined RC components with a camera and a motorcycle to make a gyro-stabilized camera mount.

MotoGP developed some gyr-stabilized camera systems that can provide live TV-quality video feeds. As you can imagine, the technology, while spectacular, is complex and expensive.

I learned about piezo gyros and that they'd been miniaturized along with servo motors for RC aircraft and helicopter use. Eventually, I found the Dunehaven GS-1, which is a combined gyro/servo in one package.

We have SolidWorks and a 3D printer so I set out to make a housing that would support the camera on my SV650S track bike. I used the mounting bracket from a GoPro camera, since they seem to be most popular for this application.

My first test prototype to test the concept was very crude, using a keychain cam.

But it worked!

As you may be able to tell, there is a problem with the gyro drifting back to center. This setup was small and cheap enough to be willing to live with it. The newest model decreases the amount of drift. I investigated going to something that would hold the heading better, but it appeared I was going to need what amounted to a helicopter autopilot, increasing the cost 3-4X.

I continued to work on the packaging and got a GoPro. Eventually I took this setup to a track day.

And I'm pretty pleased with the results. Especially for a product that is well less than $200 (excluding camera) to put together.

Thank you RC community! I'll have much better packaging for next year.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote