Thread: 450cc ADV bikes
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #34
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,811
I was checking out the TE449 at the DC show and the old BMW G450X looks pretty good in red now. The swingarm through the countershaft thing looks ridiculously complicated for the minimal benefits it provides. The bike also feels too wide at the footpegs compared to other 450 enduro bikes because of it. But at least the Husky modified version doesn't make you drop the swingarm for gearing changes like the BMW version.

The clutch on the crankshaft thing is also pretty weird looking. I have no idea how that feels or works. But, again, it makes the motor wide at the brake so the ergos seem kind of funny. It feels more porky dual sport than skinny enduro at the footpegs. Overall it seems to me like BMW invented a couple of complicated solutions to non-existent problems with that motor and frame. But otherwise it looks like a pretty sweet enduro.

IIRC, the bike magazine tests said it was a step backward from the old Husky TE450 but a step forward from the G450X. So it can't be all that bad as modified by Husky because the TE450 was a very good bike. So the BMW G450X does live on at BMW's new red headed step child company. It also looks like Husky did a good job of working with what they given in the deal.

Grreatdog screwed with this post 01-23-2012 at 07:42 AM
Grreatdog is offline   Reply With Quote