View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,227
Yes, would have been *&^%$# nice to see this YESTERDAY before I took my fuel pump apart for the first time. I didn't know how to take out the cartridge filter from the white plastic housing, so after cleaning the sock filter with soapy hot water, then carb cleaner I put it all back together. 9000 kms and dirty like yours was.

A tip I found to get the pump back into the tank without the o-ring coming out crooked. You can't really do it well by hand, you're not strong enough and the pump only has to go a bit crooked and the o-ring bulges out wrong.

I set the pump against the fuel tank gently, with the o-ring just touching the sides of the fuel tank, then I put all four bolts into the corners of the pump and did them up by hand until they were holding the pump's o-rings just against the tank. Then I did each bolt up about 1/2 a turn (diagonally sequenced) at a time. It kept the pump totally even/level/straight, and I was able to roll the oring inside the fuel tank without it bulging out.

The whole fuel pump kit is about $170, I think there are options to buy just the filters at this place. ($80??) I haven't checked it out yet. http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...007&fveh=23399

I know that there is now a "fuel pump purge kit" available. A bloke in Maryborough has built them and they are sold (in Oz) through Dalby Moto KTM and (o/seas) through a bike shop in Biloela. I think. This kit causes the fuel pump to pump backwards for 5 seconds after you have turned the bike off for 30 seconds. It is purely an electrical plug in gizmo, apparently a 5 min job. I'm thinking of getting it. They 'say' it causes the filters to last longer. Cost about $270.

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.

Blakduk screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 04:41 PM
Blakduk is online now   Reply With Quote