View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
Suqsuda OP
Secret Sharer

Oddometer: 166
Ride starts -- into traffic on the outskirts of Hanoi. I'm riding, not shooting pics, no helmet cam, but rider Andy's wife Anne was 2-up and took some moving shots. We shared pics at trip's end.

Into the limestone karst mountains and paddy fields on the way to Hoa Bien:

My bike at a rest stop. This old Ural 650 had plenty of torque when it's not carrying a sidecar and a passenger. Nice low stance and upright riding position with a comfortable tractor-style saddle. Re-fitted with front disc brakes that made the front suspension dive a little when applied firmly. Kick start but started right up every time. I think Digby and Cuong are the only guides to run Urals in Vietnam.

Another stop, atop a mountain pass:

Ken, a rider from Australia. Check out the vintage biker jacket.

Photobucket

The view. BTW, you can see in these photos the paved paths that connect villages. These are for foot traffic, scooters, bicycles -- not passable for cars and trucks. A couple times in the trip we rode for hours on end on these tracks. Delightful way to get off the main roads and see the country if you're not in a hurry.

Toward day's end we rode on single track toward Mai Chau, an ethnic Thai village of stilt houses where we stayed the night. Pictures again courtesy of Anne:

Our accommodations for the night, very nice. Also nice to sit on a high terrace looking out over the valley, drinking beers. I think I saw someone's ride report about a month ago where they stayed at this same place:

Suqsuda screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 05:51 PM
Suqsuda is offline   Reply With Quote