View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 04:28 AM   #259
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,568
next morning was up and hungry...

packed and rolled down to the main street to find a feed to power me thru the day...

ended up choosing home made baked beans, corned beef hash browns and some other bits n pieces....

wasnt expecting this but i guess...it is what it said it was...

washed down with some coffee, i was ready to roll...and then get on my bike and go...

fueled the bike in Warnambool...

then hit the Great Ocean Road.... and then left it for the Old Ocean Road

was a beautiful morning...

then headed down 'Blue Johana Road'... steep n gravelly... with some bitumen in places....

and into 'Johanna'... only a campground and some great surf beaches.... nice place....add that to the 'places to camp list'

then it was back up the hill via 'Red Johanna Road'... which turned out to be all bitumen..

next was a spin down to Cape Otway Lighthouse... this road is now all bitumen......

there was heaps of tourists along this road.... you could tell they were tourists as they were stopped everywhere, tempting fate with the huge population of Drop-Bears' along the road.... i snapped on quick pick as i kinda rolled by....i wasnt gonna stop....sure i had all my gear on, but kevlar, gortex and all that fancy stuff aint no match for those freaks!

it was also clear to see vast patches of stripped bare trees where the Drop-Bears had completely stripped the trees of any leaves... (no photos...to dangerous )

it was well into the afternoon by now and i was gettin a bit peckish... saw a sign to a caravan park and kiosk about 5 or so km before the lighthouse so ducked in....but they had nothing to 'eat now'.... (what no pies!) i'd also seen some signs that there was a 'cafe' at the lighthouse... so i just grabbed some water, a photo of the bike and headed for the lighthouse....

got to the lighthouse....and the 'cafe' was in the lighthose grounds... which has a $25 admission fee!!

i spoke to the guy in the 'gift shop' (which you could enter for free ) to confirm 'that it would cost me $25 to go to the cafe'...."yep" he replied... 'and then i still have to pay for food there?'..... yep...

i bought a packet of chips from the gift shop and buggered off

i tied the chips on the back...hoping they didnt fall off and was Gone...once-more

i ran the gauntlet with the Drop-Bears again, but turned of onto the dirt again about half way back to the main road...

.the road wound down to another great lookin campground...

i checked out the campground , then pulled up in the carpark for lunch.... hopin my chips were still on the back....

just!

not sure when that happened...but was glad everything held on...

first 'battle-scar'...bent numberplate

so ate chips, went for a mosey down to the 'beach'..

and then had to go back the way i came in..

'cept i found a little detour

which lead to another 'beach'

with lots of rocks...

then it was time to think about getting to Apolla Bay where i'd booked a bed for the night...

but still time for one last 'detour' just short of Apollo Bay..

which lead to another walk...thru snake infested country....

but the walk was nice...

and i made it out without being attacked by snakes or tree branches

then it was into Apolla Bay... checked into the hostel (nice building!) unloaded bike and then went for a spin around town a fueled up the bike...

then headed out to wash the dust down..

sat at the bar watching some soccer and contemplated a feed... chatted to a few locals...

including one woman who asked 'if i'd come with her to pick up a dinning table from a friends place...'

'does that line work for you often?' i asked....

anyway we chatted a bit... and i had a bit of time before the kitchen shut...and figuring it was a good way to see a bit of the area...after a while said...sure left go get this table...

so we jumped in her car...and buggered off up some dirt roads...., loaded a dining table onto her roof...and before we got back down the mountain, the fog came in...real quick...

kinda blocked out the sun...

so anyway.... by time i got back to the pub, the kitchen had shut

but a fish n chip shop nearby was still open...i want in placed my order and waited.....

and then the owner decided it was Karaoke time

his singing was real loud and 'sharp'...

all the other customers just looked around at each other and laughed....most left....

i had to wait for my tea....

the singing got loder...

come on...sing along....

thank god my dinner was ready....

i left, ate my tea on the footpath, almost took a picture of this old guy on a ktm in shorts and shin gaurds...

and then decided that was enough for one day....and went to bed!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote