View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #851
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Fixed.

This one is for people who are comfortable with a chain, are quite happy to forgo ABS and traction control, like to tweak their suspensions by hand, and have some play money stashed that they'd rather spend in the showroom than the workshop.

For sure, a rare breed.
Well, they're a rare breed on message boards, anyway. I know probably a dozen guys who want a Motus and see the price as an afterthought. They only need to know so they can write the check.
Whether it debuts as a perfect machine or not, and whether the price comes down or not, I don't think they'll have a problem selling their initial run. Succeeding runs may up the production and make the economy of scale better, bringing msrp down. But, they may find that they like this pricepoint and buyer base of well heeled consumers. Why get in the mud and fight with Honda buyers at the 15k mark? Why bother to duke it out with BMW, who have succeeded in creating a faithful customer base, as seen above?
I think we all know enthusiasts who buy MV product and other premium price point models simply because they can.
Besides, 28k for a motorcycle like this (low production, first run, fast, good handling, etc) is really not that big of a deal when most of us have the ability to buy an SUV that stickers for $42k or more. Even the quite pedestrian Ford Explorer is in that territory now with Acura and Lexus.
If you ride every day, and you're gonna continue that trend for some time, 28k isn't that much money for your daily. It certainly isn't excessive for the privilege of owning and riding one of the first Moti in the world.

It basically amounts to taking a new WeeStrom and running it off a cliff every year for four years. There are more people who can do that than you might think.

kraven screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 07:12 AM
kraven is offline   Reply With Quote