View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #34
FlameDance OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Up here I found another gravel path (which doesn't look steep on this image but I actually needed two attempts to get up, almost whacking the windshield into my own face on the first attempt) ...

... to enjoy the scenery from above:

At the center of this part of the wine region I found this beautiful house (apparently creating (port) wine is a business that creates nice income) ...

... and further on a gate and a road behind it. Unfortunately the gate was closed and locked.

Backtracking a bit and looking for another exit I found several more such gates, leading to the conclusion that I was on private property, not open to the public. After almost an hour of erratically cruising around the very same entry point as in the beginning appeared to be the only way out:

I guess they just hadn't expected someone would drive up this ramp and thus skipped to close it like all the other entry points.

Afterwards I was in need of some refreshments and a drink. On the terrace of a bar next to the river two british BMW riders were reclining, for a while we traded travel stories. I'm pretty sure afterwards they shook their heads about my enthusiasm for the KTM ... after all we all know that the Beemer is the best bike in the world, don't we? Anyway, they gave me ideas for my next visit to Portugal, to which I'll come back later on.