View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #14
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Cool, a fly fishing thread.
I moved from the PNW 20 years ago and haven't done much trout fishing since. Couple of trips years ago to mammoth area, june loop, etc.

I'm planning a BC trip this summer and all of the lakes and streams are full of trout so I thought bringing a fly rod would be fun evening entertainment when stopped to camp.

I have a Sage 2-piece 5wt I bought about 25 years ago, nice rod, but the tube is about 4' long. Not gonna work very well for hauling on the bike.

Another rod to consider is the 7-piece ones from Orvis. I have not used one but they look like a nice piece you can get for a couple of hundred.

Started searching on fleabay and found this Redington. Nothing fancy, but a nice used rod with a tube that's about 22" long, will go on the bike easy. Gave $100 for it, the new ones run about $250. I've had the Scientific Anglers reel since my days in WA. Just another idea for you.

EDIT: Flashmo - great write up. You must have been typing while I was. Tell me, should I replace the flyline I have on my spools? They've been in storage for at least 15 years. Or is there a way to inspect them to tell if they are usable or not?

BTW, I have one of these old things too. I really don't use it anymore, but would look good on a vintage bamboo I have. Thanks!!

browneye screwed with this post 02-01-2012 at 11:38 AM
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote