View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #17
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddedHat View Post
I would have to disagree with this, based on a hell of a lot of personal experience. In the last dozen years I have had four 1/2 ton Chevys and towed extensively with each, often over 20K miles per year. I currently tow a 26' old style, sticks and tin travel trailer that runs about three tons, loaded. The tow rig is a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.3 and 3.73 rears. In well over 100k miles with various trailers behind GM half tons I have had ZERO towing related issues. It's not 1975 anymore. Half ton trucks today have performance and towing specs. that blow the doors off 3/4 T trucks from "back in the day". The OP would do well to spend time on rv.net with particular attention paid to the towing tutorials and searching various manufacturers. Unfortunately, so far this thread has a lot of "opinions" that could easily be misconstrued as facts. Comments like half tons only being suitable for fiberglass egg trailers, or "Jayco is bottom of the barrel" really make it clear that this is a bike forum, and that credible RV knowledge is best found elsewhere. A good start in the search for a quality trailer would include Jayco, K-Z, and Nash products.
We all have opinions, that was mine and this is yours, if you're happy with a half ton that's swell. Like I said, you can't have too much truck, I see folks pulling big ass fifth wheels with srw trucks all the time, but I wouldn't do it.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote