View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #19
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,628
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudelum48 View Post
Should have added it to the original post but I really dont want a fifth wheel. I know that a fifth wheel is the prefered towing method. I figure to start out with what I have 1/2 ton 4x4. I plan for the Travel Trailer to be a every now and then type of thing so im planning small. I have a building with 10'x14 door way so would preffer one under 10' tall to store inside. Use my truck to pull a bass boat and haul bikes. The 1/2 ton does it fine.
Been looking at a Forest River Surveyor, anyone got one?

I got one - it's not bad quality, but has a rear slider - don't really like that. If it's crappy outside, I don't want to push it out - because when you pack-up camp and slide it in you'll bring in moisture on top and sides (the rubber gaskets don't do too well at 'squeegeein' the water off the surfaces). If you don't push the slider out, you can't set-up the couch or dinette.

If I had it to do over, I'd go for a slider on the side, with an awning over the top; and maybe a foot or two smaller (it's 25ft extended to 27ft). Probably go with a fifth-wheel to haul it too. they say you'll go through a few before you really figure out what you like.

Good comments on the bathroom awareness - another nice option is a separate shower (my trailer has this, at least).

Let's see - primitive camping... mine is able to get into/out of most sites; years of backing a duece & a-half with a little M101 trailer on the back makes for good experience.

Generators - I have a pair of little Honda EU2000i - they are frikkin' awesome. ~65 pounds a piece, start on the first or second pull most of the time, and plenty of amperage to power the AC or furnace and coffee pot or microwave at the same time. ...and they're quiet. Just need to chain them to a tree or something, or they'll grow legs. Freakin' tweakers...
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote