Old 02-07-2012, 05:57 AM   #32
Bamako-Vespa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajavw View Post
Also

Thanks for the photos and info.

This Correos Box, Solo Seat, and Rack is appealing. I've looked into this. Unfortunately, they are not available in North America.

If you know where I could get one, please pass it my way.

Check out scooterzilla.com

The site is under contstruction, but use the contact page to get in touch with the guy setting up the site. He has a few Correos boxes. As they are quite popular in spain they are getting more and more expensive. The price should be around 100-200 euros.

I met the guy during the Vespa World Days 2011 and he seemed like a nice guy.

This setup consists of the box (of course), a lockable seat and a special rack that everything bolts on to. The nice thing with it is that it is a perfect bolt on upgrade to the vespa PX.

You do get a little front en wobble, but if you back the box right (heavy stuff low down and forward), and put some heavy stuff on the floorboards (like a 10L jerry can) and perhaps a front rack you'll minimize that wobble.

I rode like this for more than 5000 km down through the Sahara participating in the Budapest Bamako rally, and forgot about the wobble after a couple of days.

We also modified the rack a little, so that the box would sit about 2cm further back. The seat does put you a little bit too far forward, especially if you are tall and wear a back plate under your riding gear.

The boxes in action on the piste to Foum Zguid in Southern Morrocco:

www.bamakobyvespa.no
Bamako-Vespa is offline   Reply With Quote