Thread: War time hacks
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #77
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
Old Russian POS. I don't think there is any way to date those things. I'm not sure what it is but not a BMW.
A guy with a lot of time and money might be able to graft a different engine into it.
A lot of things missing and the engine was a rusted up mess.
Only way i would haul it home was for free.
I was looking at the pics of this RPOC again. Was the sidecar tub there? I didn't notice. Anyway, on the tank- that looks like the aircleaner feature- just above the tool box lid. A snorkel, for crossing streams. That's rare, and definitely makes it a military model M-72 (the tank anyway). The front wheel stand is a military feature too, as is the sidecar frame loop that was already mentioned. Did you notice any Soviet "star" stampings on the motor anywhere?

As a matter of fact, looking at the motor close-ups again, the castings actually look pretty nice. Much nicer than my later M72. Did you notice any markings anywhere? What did the carbs say? Were they CCCP K37s, or were they German Bings? It could conceivably be a BMW R71, although that is pretty unlikely. That air cleaner and fender are really intriguing. If I lived close I'd drop by with my truck and $750 (maybe even a thou) and get a nice project to keep myself outta trouble.

So whatever happened? Is it still lying around in the guy's barn in pieces? It looks all there- someone needs to rescue and resurrect the old girl. They clean up pretty well- a little rust is NBD. They were made to run despite all kinds of abuse. Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3SSgIEI4PE

If you were up for it, you could probably get that collection of parts up and running for $2-3K. Not restored, but a good runner. Parts are available. How many other 50-60 year old vehicles can that be said about these days? Sorry- looking at that old neglected bike makes me feel the same way I do looking at the SPCA dogs for rescue!

MotoJ screwed with this post 02-09-2012 at 08:57 AM
MotoJ is offline   Reply With Quote