Thread: War time hacks
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #81
MotoJ
Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppozit View Post
Neither the front wheel stand, nor the overarn sidecar frame indicate a military model. They merely give a date range for production The overarm sidecar frame was introduced in 1942-3 to replace the stub axle (which was prone to smapping off,). IMZ made the M-72 from 1951 onwards for Government and private use. The overarm sidecar frame remained in production until 1956/7 when the M-72M and M-72N were introduced with torsion bar swingarms. Your "aircleaner" seems to be sitting on top of the fuel opening. An unlikely place for an aircleaner. The usual spot for aircleaners when tank mounted was the toolbox. Rare was a military tank aircleaner. They were also used on the M-72K (Kross) and they are just as rare.
Dating information is often found inside the electrical components.

Also no BMW R71 was ever produced with rear plunger reinforcements.
Thanks for the corrections! None of those items definitely indicate a military model- my mistake. They are features more prevalent on military models, though. As you pointed out, IMZ did make the M72 for both military and private use, but KMZ M72 production was mostly military. The wheel hubs are KMZ. If this is a 50s bike, then IMZ had switched to the bottlecap type by then. With the overarm sidecar frame, wheel stand, and Dnepr hubs, it's a better than average chance the bike is a military model, which means better metalurgy and quality control. There's lots of drab painted M72Ms out there but not many true military models, especially in the US. The star stamps would tell. If the owner really did bring it back in the fifties that makes a better chance it's authentic military too.
I'd like to see pics of the tub if it's there, too. Mounts for guns, ammo boxes, etc. on the tub would be a giveaway.

My point was that this pile would be worth the time to get back on it's feet. I suppose there's no way to tell for sure the provenance.

I'd like to know what that "air cleaner" feature is- some kind of vented gas cap? It looks like it was engineered to fit there for some reason.