So here's a copy of what I posted in the XR650L forum, where someone suggested I start my own thread re: this build. I can't guarantee that I'll be finishing this up anytime real soon, as other home projects are bound to get in the way, so consider this a work in progress.
Some links I consider useful and relevant:
Constant Current power supply from Instructables
Avago Red LED's from Mouser
This project started due to a need to have a rear facing red foglight on my car. I used the bumper reflector, and LED's from Mouser
. Here's a shot gluing it back together after assembly. For some reason, my camera gave it an orange/yellow tint vs the red that my eye sees. You can see the constant current source in the upper left corner, from Instructables
, adjusted to match the LED's I chose. Total power draw, 12W. Light output, 300 lumens. I have the option to push 700mA instead, which would bump me up to 24W draw, and eyeball searing amount of light. Those little f'ers are bright. My blind spots lasted about 5 minutes with them at full power.
Edit: This picture was taken only driving 151mA through the LED's of their 700mA capacity.
On to the motorbike stuff.
I've done a bit of messing around so far, and determined that 3 of these each front and back will approximately match the brightness of the factory blinkers! I'd plan to push them at 1/2-3/4 power, which would run me 6-9W each blinker (not in red, of course.) By comparison, the factory blinkers are 23W each.
I want to do the brake light as well, with 12 LED's. When not braking, they'll pull 2W to put out about the amount of light the factory "TV set" does as a taillight. Tap the brake, and they go to full brightness (1100+ lumens, equal to a 70W incandescent light bulb according to Wikipedia - chart near bottom
) while drawing a mere 16.8W.
Then there's the headlight, but I haven't picked out all the stuff for it yet. I know I'm targeting 3300 lumens low beam
, 5000+ high beam
in the patterns linked. If high beam accidentally throws too far, oh well. Hehe. I'm shooting for 4500+/- degrees Kelvin for low beam, 5000 K high beam for ideal visibility and natural color rendering. I expect the cost to be right around $150-200 in parts based on preliminary planning, and provide me with a very close to optimal headlight pattern that will not annoy oncoming traffic, drawing a target of 30W low, 50W high.
EDIT, 03 June 2014 - I've added the following link to a PDF I printed from my Mouser project page this afternoon. If you'd like to make this LED taillight, almost everything you need is in this link. Just add some kind of breadboard from RadioShack, etc and some aluminum bar, bolts, and grommets from your local hardware store.
Also, here's the link for the bayonet socket I used: